Need some advice on hiring experienced VA for sourcing

After months of trying to get someone who truly knows what they are doing, we are frustrated and not sure where to turn.

I have hired many VAs for real estate market but not Amazon.

I have gone through at least 10 VAs to only be disappointed after testing and two week trials.

If you have any advice where to go next would appreciate it.

So far we have gotten several from online job listings, several from other Amazon sellers who really did not understand what they were sourcing for them, just accepted and bought what they recommended.

That resulted in getting fake products- yikesā€¦

I encounter a lot of people, mostly with the same issues of getting scammed by Pakistani virtual assistants, but that doesnā€™t mean that all five fingers are equal. We always recommend our clients to have a 1 to 2-week trial so that they can see our work, and then they will definitely be sure about whether we are eligible for their work or not.

If you selected a bad VA and he has ruined your business, you shouldnā€™t generalize about everyone. Just view the results live and then decide whether to select anyone for your account. Otherwise, you can work by yourself.

3 Likes

I have hired many Pakistani VAs and with an exception of few, i have had great experience with them.

Itā€™s employerā€™s responsibility to determine and figure in initial few days if the person to whom they are giving their account and confidential information is actually a responsible and worthy person.

3 Likes

Indeed, hiring and working with Vas is very challenging , main issue being that is hard to find the right person for our businessā€¦

1- You mentioned two weeks trial - hmm personaly i dont agree with this as a Va needs way more time to understand and get used with our processes , business etcā€¦I always give 3 , 4 months at least , but of course i have fired after few days , or few weeks but this when something bad happened ( scam, lying , etc)

2- every single Va needs to be trained by you , does not matter if they have experience or not ā€¦You need to show ur way and if the VA has a better way of doing things then is up to you to follow the Va way ā€¦

3- The Va needs feedbacks , guidance and you need to be patient with them ā€¦give them time , work with them to grow and you cant do all these in two weeks this is why i said you need to give them few months

2 Likes

I can not recommend VAs. Might be better to invest in real employees who are much more experienced.

Make them source live infront of you in interview (no matter if they secure a deal or not atm), one of the best methods I know through a few clients who made me do it. You will easily get to know their sourcing methods, the metrics they look for and if they actually know what they are doing. (For OA).

2 weeks trial wonā€™t be enough for a Wholesale VA as far as I think, can be enough if OA is added but if only wholesale then you need to give them a proper chance. They might have agreed that they will prove themselves in 2 weeks just to secure a job but in the end they will just ruin your time.

IMO, you should first learn amazon yourself and then you should hire VA. When you hire the VA have a proper meeting with him/her.

1 Like

Do you know how to source? You should know how to get products based on your criterias and teach that to your sourcing VA. You must learn it first so you can teach someone who will source just like you. If after 10 VAs and you are still not getting the results you wanted, try to reflect on yourself too. I was a Product Researcher too and I also taught newbies who applied to us and in order for them to learn how to do the job, I should know first how to do it.

You need to learn before hiring VA. Btw for which market youā€™re looking for?

You should be teaching themā€¦not relying on hiring someone that ā€˜knowsā€™ what they are doing.

Spend time with them and make them a mini you (provided you are an expedt sourcer). Set up systems and processes and document them. Then try and develop the mindset of leadership, its really hard but dont fall into the trap of wanting instant results . Its a marathon not a sprint.

Recruitment also needs to be looked at - attitude trumps skill any day, the right attitude can learn pretty much anything.

With my detailed criteria that I give every VA to Study I ask them to confirm that they understand it. I also give them a video of how to use AZin which shows them how I analyze the product listing to determine if it will be profitable. Iā€™m not looking for a newbie to train. Iā€™m looking for someone who has been sourcing and has actual experience with a job doing it. I show them the way I do my sourcing however. If someone comes to me and says they have five years experience sourcing products I certainly expect them to be accurate and not give me lead that have 64 sellers or misses the criteria points. As others have said, people tend to exaggerate what their experience is therefore testing is important, and the two week trial should be enough for someone to show me that they know how to source.

I also give them a very detailed spreadsheet that they can fill out with product information that has calculations built in. always spend time giving feedback to draw their attention back to the criteria. I am looking for. I think two weeks is plenty of time for someone who professes 3 to 5 years experience.

Yes Iā€™ve been doing my own sourcing the last 18 months. I have a detailed criteria that I give to my VA which outlines exactly what Iā€™m looking for.

I know how to source Iā€™ve been able to be successful in the business. Iā€™m looking for a VA that is experienced that I donā€™t have to train. My market ranges basically in the health and wellness market beauty personal care, a few toys, pet supplies the markets that have been profitable for me. My friends and I have been studying with an outstanding sellers Academy based in the US, and we are in the e-commerce executive mastermind group. This is for sellers that have reached over 100,000 a year in sales.

Itā€™s because ppl most likely lie in their resumes to get hired. If you know the ā€œfake it till you make itā€ thatā€™s what most ppl do.

1 Like

Better to learn first or if you donā€™t have much time, hire an expert for an interview purpose.

Indeed. And the sad part is that some amazon coaches even promoted the ā€œfake it til you make itā€ scheme.